Murder City, USA Mayor Lori Lightfoot tweeted out a rather eloquent quote this past weekend. She wrote, “I’m sick of this sh*t.”
However, she wasn’t commenting on the 15 people who were killed in Chicago this past week or the 653 who have been murdered so far this year under her watch. No, those lives didn’t matter to her as much as the five who were killed in Colorado Springs.
Chicago’s problems continue to spiral out of control thanks to woke policies, social justice leadership and a “progressive” prosecutor running the city and its failed criminal justice system. The biggest victims of all of it, of course, are the city’s minority communities . . .
Wirepoints lays it out . . .
Six signposts of Chicago’s “progressive” law and order breakdown
Here are six clear indications that progressive apologetics have undermined public safety, with the toxic effects most deeply felt in Chicago’s black communities.
- Police have been effectively banned from stop-and-frisk, foot chases and car chases.
- It is open season on the police. A new state law mandates local police misconduct complaints can now be made anonymously. Police face growing violent hostility, including killings and attacks on police cars. As a result, Police decide to de-police – and to depart. District patrol manpower has shrunk in Chicago.
- The streets have been confiscated by miscreants. Chicago enjoys near-record high carjackings, plus trigger-happy “takeover” crews who appropriate the city’s streets for stunt driving events but rarely suffer any consequences.
- Vehicle-borne armed robbery crews victimize pedestrians in organized sweeps, and catalytic converter thieves protected by gunmen make the rounds as well. Chicago’s streets are increasingly dystopian.
- Courts have surrendered. In Cook County they have become a revolving door. Alleged criminals awaiting trial are freed on low-cash or no-cash bail, but at least 15,000 times since late 2017 have then been charged with new crimes. The number is dramatically low-balled due to Chicago’s negligible arrest rate.
- Emergency response has been maimed. More than half of high-priority 911 calls languished without a timely response last year, and the problem continued this year as top Chicago Police Department (CPD) supervisors now “code out” so-called “backlogged” 911 calls to hide the problem. At such times and without a reported physical injury, officers may not show up to take a report. Voila, crime is down. It is “Defund The Police” without the defunding.
- The rhetoric is fierce, and destructive. The Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) Chicago chapter – representing six Chicago aldermen – calls Chicago Police a “white supremacist” organization. A DSA alderman’s aide refers to CPD officers as “pigs” and draws concerns from local residents who say they need protection. Local activists encourage looting. And Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle describes murders like that of hard-working hairdresser and mother of six Tamiko Talbert, a black woman, as due to Covid plus “historic disinvestment and marginalization.” Official Chicago’s progressive tropes on race are a doubling-down of disinformation riven with the arrogance of unfettered power and callous indifference to wrenching daily tragedies in the city’s black communities.
This mayor, who spends most of her weekends at her home in Michigan rather than in the city she “governs” can’t bother to tackle the violence plaguing her own city’s streets. But she has plenty of time to wade into a tragedy in Colorado.
This should surprise no one.
Lightfoot is all symbolism and very little substance. Don’t buy a gun, call 9-1-1 (and wait) instead she tells residents. Instead of hiring more cops, she throws $400 million more at failed “gun violence” prevention programs. Frankly, under a mayor who can’t even label gang violence as “gang violence” and instead pretends it’s “gun violence,” no amount of government deficit spending will fix it.
Meanwhile as residents die on he streets of her city, she’s making TikTok dance videos about how wonderful her corrupt, crime-ridden fiefdom is.
Mayor Lightfoot, of course, doesn’t have to worry about violent crime. She’s has her own dedicaed 90-person security detail to keep her safe. That’s more cops than almost every other city department in the state of Illinois.
Now, however, she wants you to know how outraged she is by the shooting in Colorado Springs. Never let a good crisis go to waste.